Thursday, August 13, 2009

No Concept of Time...

I find it hilarious that time is so arbitrary to children. It's so abstract. We live in a world which would fall apart without time. EVERYTHING we do is on a schedule...when we work, when we eat, when we workout, when we meet up, go to school, watch a show, go to church. And everything has a "how long" to it too. We do something for an hour, or 10 minutes until bedtime...you know what I'm talking about!!

Time truly IS abstract, but it has become so concrete in our own private worlds. BUT, not the world of a child. I love the innocence when Eric says "5 minutes!" Not having a clue what he's talking about.


Yesterday, we went by the fair grounds and Rachel apparently started having flashbacks of the fair. She asked me if I remembered all the animals and the tractors. She also mentioned the horse ride. That's where Eric comes in. He got all excited at the thought of riding a horse. All day long he kept asking me about the horsey and I tried to tell him that the fair isn't until the day after the baby is born next month, but that daddy will take him to see the horsey and YES he can ride it! So, here is my stimulating conversation with my two-year-old:


Eric: "Me ride horsey?"
Mommy: "Yes!"
Eric: "When?"
Mommy: "Next month, honey!"
Eric: "Me ride horsey, 5 minutes?"
Mommy: "No, Buddy, not for a long time!!"
Eric: "When?"
Mommy (trying to figure out how to appease the boy): "Honey, the horseys won't come until the baby comes...so it's still not for a long time!"
Eric: "Baby bring horsey!!! Baby bring horsey!"
Mommy: "Well, sort of! After the baby comes, then you can ride the horsey!"
Eric: "Baby bring horsey, 5 minutes!"



Gotta love my boy! Here he is at about 11 months, riding our horsey!!

1 comment:

Jamie Massey said...

He is a boy after my own heart! Tell him that his Future Aunt-in-law (what am I called?) will take him riding horsies anytime he wants!!